Eames lounge chair and ottoman is the legendary furniture design of mid-century. The chair was designed by the most popular furniture architect couple Charles and Ray Eames in 1956. This chair first came to lime light on NBCs morning show, the Arlene Francis home show and was an instant hit. Since 1956 this design of lounge chair has been in constant production by two of the licensed manufacturer in USA Herman Miller of Zeeland Michigan and Europe license got Vitara.
Because of its fame and popularity Eames lounge chairs are the most copied furniture. Alongside, the original version the replica designs also catch up with the quality or craftsmanship of the original. Therefore, the reproduction design of Eames lounge chairs also are very popular. Regardless of original or the reproduction the main features of original includes the followings which are vital to consider when buying Eames Lounge Chairs.
- The shell of the most popular design comes in cherry, walnut, palisander or rosewood. A lounge chair with these type of woods on the shell are the combination of true master piece.
- The chair should have a soft leather upholstery with six-inch thick urethane foam cushions.
- The lounge chair should have five base also known as five-start and the ottoman should have four. The legs should raise up in a slight angle not so steeply creating a cone effect.
- High quality design usually has back braces in die-cast aluminum as per the original design. However, some cheap design may have square tubular aluminum. The bases should also be die-cast and painted black with polished aluminum trim.
- The ideal design lounge chairs should have a comfortable curved armrest not flat.
- The ottoman and the chairs sit should have the same size. In fact, cushions are interchangeable.
- The best designs as like the original must not have any visible screws or bolts, absolutely none.
Last not the least most copies of replica design recline however, the original design doe not. Even some of the popular reproduction also recline to make them comfortable.